Photos: top © Christopher Markisz, bottom © Tommy Lau Photography
The urgent and persistent threats to the future of our planet—and the future of our young people—require an equally urgent and persistent response. We aim to inspire and empower as many students as possible with a broad range of impactful films, resources, and conversations.
Now in its 15th year, our Environmental Youth Forum (EYF) has evolved into a year-round hybrid program that includes both online and in-person events for K-12 students that utilize film to foster awareness and activism around a range of environmental issues, with an emphasis on innovations, solutions, and youth engagement.
All EYF programs are FREE for all participating schools. We are able to offer a limited number of buses on a first come, first served basis, so we encourage you to register early! In-person programs will take place at the Smith Rafael Film Center in downtown San Rafael and are open to all local schools and youth service organizations. Online programs are open to schools and youth organizations anywhere in the United States.
EYF brings you the best in environmental filmmaking and is designed to be a highly interactive experience that goes above and beyond just seeing a movie. Each program includes a combination of activities including:
- Film screenings
- Live conversations with filmmakers and subject experts from around the world
- Active Cinema Room featuring exhibits and hands-on demonstrations by local environmental organizations
- Panel discussions with adult and youth activists
- Student activism resources including advocacy ideas, engagement activities, and calls to action
- Teacher curriculum resources including lesson plans, discussion guides, and activity toolkits
- Links to partner organizations and opportunities for remote engagement and activism
New EYF programs will be announced throughout the school year and as part of our DocLands and Mill Valley Film Festival Education programs. For announcements and updates, make sure to subscribe to our CAFILM Education emails at the bottom of this page. If you have ideas or subjects you would like us to consider for an upcoming EYF program, please email us at [email protected], and we will do our best to meet your curriculum needs and requests.